Saturday 21 June 2014

Real rhubarb crumble and confusion :)

Remember this post? It was my oatmeal-ified version of rhubarb crumble. Recently however, I made a much better version of a real rhubarb crumble!
A rhubarb apple crumble to be exact!
It's a pretty simple recipe with all natural healthy ingredients, no added sugar, no dairy, no wheat, no butter, no eggs etc. So here it i:
Ingredients:
1 rhubarb stick, chopped
3/4 of a green apple, chopped
1 teaspoon chia seeds
a dash of cinnamon
Crumble:
1/2 cup muesli
1 1/2 tablespoons nut butter ( I used cashew butter)
2+ tablespoons of milk ( I used oat milk)
a small handful of blueberries (optional)

Method:
1. preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
2. Place the rhubarb, apple, chia seeds and cinnamon in a small saucepan and place over low heat:
3. Keep stirring occasionally until the rhubarb and apple break down and sort of start to smoosh together:
4. Leave a side while you make the crumble.
5. Place the muesli and blueberries in a bowl with the milk and stir. Heat the nut butter in the microwave for about30-50 seconds until melted, rub into muesli.
6. Pour rhubarb mixture into a ceramic mug (that can go in the oven) or small oven dish and top with the crumble:
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until crumble is golden and mixture is bubbling! (your kitchen house will smell amazing)
8. Leave to cool slightly... then enjoy!
Super yummy, warm, nutty, gooey mmmmm
I enjoyed mine with a cool glass of soy milk... because I went against my instructions and did not wait for it to cool, so the soy milk was very helpful..
Hmmm, too hot! What to do?
Genius!

Now onto some other fun news. Getting stuff for free!
There are many downfalls with shopping for food with me:
1. I don't take a list
2. My tastes are expensive (hello chia seeds, quinoa and coconut flour!)
3. I'm not really old enough to buy my own groceries.. sorry mum!
But there is one positive!
1. I buy the  weirdest things, even if I don't know what they are, just to try them out!
Why is that a good thing? Well, yesterday was a prime example.
I had spotted this round green vegetable (later found out to be a green Kohlrabi) and chucked it in the trolley. Later when we were at the cash register, the checkout person was stumped. I ran to where I found it and came back to spell her the name printed on the sign. It didn't turn up on her computer... so we got it for free!
I got some other weird stuff too:
In the back is my free Kohlrabi, then in front is a gem star squash and the little red thing is a tomarillo.
After coming back from shopping, I was hungry and I felt like soup :) (It's Winter in Aus!)
I also wanted to use the gem star squash:
So while I heated up my split pea soup on the stove, I cut this bad boy in half, drizzled with a bit of oil and roasted for 30 mins:

Then scooped out the seeds.
I also made some chickpea flat bread (chickpea flour, oil, greek yoghurt mixed with hands, rolled and placed on pan on high heat)
And lunch was done!
Soup, squash and flat bread :)
Look, it's sort of like a spaghetti squash (lot's of ideas for new uses now!)
This soup was awesome! I bought it because it was vegan with heaps less sodium that all the other brands (118mg per 100g)
And the flat bread was perfect :)
 And.. dip!
So, some typical winter recipes and food ideas for ya.. I hope everyone has a fabulous rest of their weekend and talk to you soon! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...