Wednesday 15 June 2016

Creamy Green Pasta Bowl And Other Green Recipes!

I don't know about you but I feel 1000x better when I sit down to a meal that is predominantly the colour green.

It could be a bit of a illusory feeling because my mind is simply seeing green and thinking 'ok we must feel good now!', but I would believe that a big part of my feeling healthy, energised and full of nutrients is because these green foods provide energy bursting, nutrient-filled benefits!

Avocado, broccoli, spinach, brussels sprouts, kale, lettuce, pears, silver beat, peas, beans, green apples, kiwi-fruit, cucumber, zucchini... the list goes on and on and the benefits simply grow and grow!!
 I definitely notice a considerable difference in my energy levels, digestion and general feeling of wellbeing when I haven't included many green veggies/ fruits/ foods in my diet and hence am always drawn back to these greenies whether it be a massive green smoothie or a bowl full of basil pesto pasta.. the body knows what it needs!!

This is why I try and incorporate green-ness into almost all of my meals! And here today for you is both a dinner creation and breakfast creation that left me feeling noticeably happier, energetic, not bloated/ worn down and just... good. Full stop.

Now without further a do- how about a recipe for a super creamy, delicious pasta bowl?
YES PLEASE!!
Creamy Green Avocado Pasta Bowl:

 Ingredients:
1 serving penne pasta (I used high fiber penne)
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup corn
125g tin mixed four beans, drained and rinsed
1 handful spinach
1/2 large avocado
1 heaped tablespoon nutritional yeast

Method:
1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions- add peas and corn for the last 2 minutes and in the last 30 seconds add the spinach to wilt down to literally nothing!
2. Drained pasta, peas and corn and spinach and place in large-ish bowl (to stir around) and add the rinsed four beans
3. Mash avocado (either large half or a whole small avocado) with the nutritional yeast until smooth and combined
4. Add the creamy mashed avocado to the pasta bowl and stir until every bit is covered in creamy, delicious avocado!
5. Transfer to eating bowl and NOM!

 So simple, quick, healthy and so gosh darn delicious- perfect weeknight meal when you don't know what to cook, need something comforting yet don't want to feel gross and bloated afterwards- make this bad boy!!
 Literally ate this with a big smile on my face as the creamy delicious-ness of the avocado cream sauce coated all the pasta, providing a luscious, silky texture and delicious almost-cheesey flavour as a result of the added nutritional yeast- perfect!
 So now that you've just eaten you're delicious, creamy green pasta bowl and you've felt great, gone to bed and woken up for a brand new day, why not keep up the theme with a HUUUGEEE (and you know me and my smoothies; when I say huge, I mean huuuggee!) green tropical pineapple smoothie!
 To make you're very own full-to-the-brim jar (with plenty left in the belnder for pre-breakfast snacks! :P) simply place:

Ingredients:
1 large chopped, frozen banana
1 handful of chopped, frozen zucchini
1 large handful chopped, frozen pineapple
1 LARGE handful of kale
1 LARGE handful of spinach
3 big scoops of greek yoghurt
1/2 heaped cup rolled oats with 1 teaspoon chia seeds soaked in 1 cup almond milk for around 10-15 mins

Method:
1. Place everything in the blender in this order: zucchini, kale, oats, pineapple, spinach, yoghurt, banana and a splash of water (I only put in a splash as I love my smoothies ridiculously thick- like strain to suck it up the straw thick, so if you like it less-thick just add more water!) and blend on high until smoothie smoooooth!
 Creamy, delicious, ridiculously green without the taste of green-ness at all, filled with all the good stuff and the vitamin C from pineapple to help with the absorption of iron from the spinach and kale, (irons an important one for us ladies!!) this is seriously a great way to start the day- and trust me, it will leave you full for quite some time!
 I'm not one to simply make smoothies with water and frozen fruit because I know that will not leave me full or satiated for very long at all and I also know I would be lacking a huge bunch of vital nutrients from my first meals of the day- thus greek yoghurt, rolled oats, almond milk and chia seeds are added in to add the protein, fibre, good fats and omega-3's my body thrives on to really crush my day! And also the size of the smoothie is simply so large even I won't feel hungry for a few good hours!! :P
 And again; there's no bloating or sickness when this baby starts my day!
Sluuurrrp!

So there you have it friends! Two delicious green recipes that will leave you feeling refreshed, energised, light and happy, simultaneously providing your body with so many essential nutrients without you even noticing! Happy, happy dayzz!

Your turn:
What's your favourite green food? I have no idea what I would choose, probably spinach because it is just so versatile!
Favourite green recipe? Mine would definitely be green smoothies. But I did have a long affair with pesto for a while there... and avocado toast is simply so, so good!
Best breakfast you've had recently?

I hope you all have a truly wonderful rest of your day, look after your amazing bodies, do something you utterly love and as always; EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS!! Bye for now friendly friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...