Thursday 10 November 2016

I'M BACCCKKK!!!

Hey guys!! Remember me??

No?

Well, I don't blame you!!

It's been a hot minute since I've been on the blog and let me tell you- I have missed you guys!!

I love, love, love writing this blog and rambling on about food and health and fitness and ya-da-ya-da-ya-da because that's what I am so so passionate about in life.

However, the blog does take a little extra energy and time from me (which is definitely not a bad thing because all worthwhile things do!!) but whilst I was in the midst of my mock exams and then preparing for my actual final FINAL year 12 school WACE exams, I knew I had to scale back. And by scale back you all know I just stopped! :P

But guess what?

Exams are over.

Done.

I am a free woman!!

And I cannot express enough the joy I feel to never have to pick up my extended maths textbook again and try and recall how to differentiate a logarithm. To find out the area of a pineapple. For fun.

Anywho, I thought today I would do a little post outlining my experience through the most stressful time I have ever felt in my entire life and what I did to survive combat this.

First of all- BREAKFAST. Everyday. Especially exam days. SOOOO IMPORTANT.

My breakfasts were always big, hearty, balanced, filled with plenty of carbs, healthy fats and protein and preparing my brain to think and use up all the glorious nourishing energy I was feeding it.
 These are my no-bake black bean brownies made with black beans, rolled oats, choc protein powder, raw cacao powder, cinnamon, dates, almond milk and that's about it! Into the vitamin and blended up until smooth! Rolled into balls and then flattened into squares to be popped in the freezer for around 15-30mins (depending on how ravenous you get!! I'm always more on the 15 minute side of things :P)
 Plus cranberry fro-yo made by blending up frozen cranberries and greek yoghurt an popping the freezer for a few mins to set a bit more.
 If you want a full recipe you can find a similar one here :)

On the topic of breakfasts, to up my vitamins and minerals and all the other good stuff to keep me happy and healthy (i.e. me drastically trying to not catch the awful cold that was going around- that both my parents caught during my exams!!) I drank ALOT of green smoothies!
 Super big, thick green choc protein smoothie made with 2 bananas, 4 blocks of frozen spinach, 1 scoop vegan chocolate protein powder, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 3 big spoons greek yoghurt and water- whizzed up in the Vitamin until smooth and super creamy!!

Not just for those added nutrients though- also because they taste absolutely amazing!!
 But, if I was going to drink a smoothie, you can bet it was going to be fluorescent green!! Also; frozen spinach- adds so much more volume and thickness- win!
Green mango smoothie with almond butter and mixed nut butter granola- current favourite breakfast

And lunches and dinners followed the same kind of trend in that I tried to shove as many fresh and cooked veggies in as possible to ensure I was feeling my body with the best foods available!
 Raw veg sticks with a cooked up veggie and lentil patty 

 A bowl of sautéed veg, cooked up with a bit of olive oil in the frypan for a few minutes with some garlic tofu added in at the end
Super simple and delicious dinner of mashed mixed veg (steamed beetroot, pumpkin, parsnip, potato, sweet potato) with a small tin of reduced-salt baked beans stirred in along with some nutritional yeast and spinach- yum!

And of course, I never gave up my workouts because they helped keep me calm and motivated and helped keep my brain firing and concentrating through the long 3-hour exams:
Sure the burn-out I was feeling with study and sitting exams did effect my attitude towards working out but I knew when I chucked on the gear, went downstairs and got things started, I would start to feel that rush of endorphins and kick butt! So that's how I did it folks; just made myself get started!

Now, all that helped me get through this truly hard time and I did, but when I actually stopped and just listened to my body after that final exam, I almost broke down in tears. I have never pushed my body so far in my life and these exams broke me. And I'm a strong person.

I think I will just need a few days of resting up and recovering because right now I am in such a burnt out state I can't even.

Enter today's rest day:
 Turmeric spiced oats made by placing 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1 thinly sliced banana, 4 chopped dates, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric (I just put a few dashes in; don't measure) 3/4 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup water- into a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until absorbed- greek yoghurt stirred in at the end (optional)
 Followed by a shower, lots of water and a beach walk; and that was my morning.
Happy days

Haven't got much else planned for the day and that is A-ok with me! Might even watch a movie or something after lunch! Who knows!! Gish it's been a while since I've watched a day time movie! :P

What about you?
How do you handle stressful periods in your life?
Best foods you make to ensure you keep firing through your day?
What did you have for breakfast today??

Have yourself a wonderful, wonderful day, do the things you love, be with those you love and as always; EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS (that's my one goal for the day!!) Bye for now friendly friends! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...