Saturday 21 November 2015

Saturday food musings :P

So it's Saturday, which means it's the weekend, which means I have a bit more time on my hands, which means my brain is a-thinking, which means I'm thinking about food.

Award for the best intro ever? Yep, that's what I thought!

Any who, back my thinking!

Do you ever start watching a video on YouTube and then all of a sudden (some time later) you've come across the most random videos that had no correlation at all to the one you were watching??


Well, I get that a lot and the other day after flicking to the Tube (ahh Steph) for some funny cat video or something, I ended up scrolling through some raw vegan 'What I Eat In A Day' 's (similar to our WIAW, however video-i-fied.). I was kind of enraptured by these videos and kept watching them, and looking back now it was probably the extremities of their diet that made me want to watch more and more (hey, humans are curious by nature!)

In case you've never heard of raw vegan or are just unsure of what it really means to be a raw vegan, here is the definition below:

Raw veganism is a diet that combines the concepts of veganism and raw foodism. It excludes all food and products of animal origin, as well as food cooked at a temperature above 48 °C (118 °F).

However it was not the fact that these people were eating vegan or fully raw that fascinated me. It was the type and amount of food they were consuming.

When I became vegetarian people told me that I would need to up my intake of food a little bit in order to sufficiently gain all my nutrients and kilojoules and sure, that made sense to me. So I wonder why it surprised me so much when a raw vegan (especially the low-fat high carb diet followers) have to eat the quantities they do.

The videos would show the YouTuber waking up to a breakfast of 3 whole chopped cantaloupes, or a smoothie consisting of 8 bananas, spinach, coconut water and maybe some other fruit, followed by a lunch of 10 red bell peppers, a whole cucumber and more fruit in a salad bowl the size of a small tub. Dinner might consist of 3-4 baked sweet potatoes as well as 3-4 white potatoes and some more salad/ fruit.

My first reaction to all of this (which I am quite ashamed of) is; these people are nuts! How they can they be eating this much food (especially fruit). Surely their stomachs can't handle this and they get extremely bloated/ uncomfortable. Surely this cannot be healthy. Surely, surely, surely.

But the other main thing that stuck out from all these videos was just how happy and energised and excited these people were about their food and way of living. Multiple commented about the amount of energy they now have as a result of becoming raw vegan and the way all this fresh produce makes them feel so good!

No, this was not a long and convoluted way of telling all of you that I am becoming raw vegan. I just don't think I could keep that up! (And bananas can be expensive over this side of town... in Australia). No, this post was just to remind everyone- and remind me- that everyone's different and no matter how extreme you might find something (like eating an entire watermelon for lunch) if it works for someone else and makes them feel happy, healthy and energised, who are we to judge?

Now, I'm off to enjoy some coconut butter truffles and a grape smoothie- because, you know, I'll do what I know makes my body feel awesome!

What about you?
What are your thoughts on raw veganism?
Do you follow a type of diet?
3 foods that always make you feel great!

I hope you all have a brilliant Saturday, do something super fun and eat something super delicious! Bye for now friends!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...