Tuesday 9 February 2016

Lacking motivation? It's a mind game

Hidy ho friends!

Do y'all remember when I use to run ridiculous amount of kilometers and still function as a human being?

I do and at my current existence, here and now, I wonder how this was ever physically possible.

You see, now-a-days running is still a part of my life, but to a significantly smaller degree. Instead of averaging over 30- 40 kilometers a week, I now would be averaging maybe 10-20? And I'm not upset by this, or complaining but I just wonder how I motivated myself to do this!
Oh I remember! ;)

This blog is all about honesty. Being honest to each other about our struggles. Whether it be with food, fitness or life in general- heck I've complained and struggled with it all! So honesty time is here- I have definitely been lacking motivation when it comes to my fitness.

If I try and work out what is causing this struggle I can come up with a few different excuses, like; I'm not training for anything... so why bother training? I am super busy and don't have time for a lengthy workout. Working out is challenging. I'm too tired.

But when it comes down to it, it's all in the mind. It's my mind that's making me feel like I can't do an extra few minutes of sprints, or do a HIIT routine 4 times through like I'm supposed to. I know I don't want to push myself too hard and end up where I was; abusing myself with fitness resulting in utter exhaustion and if I'm honest, no social life because I was too tired to do anything else after running for 2 hours, however I do want to get back to the place where fitness wasn't a chore for me, I loved to move my body and at least thirty minutes came easy to me.

And again, it's all a mind game. It's my head that tells me I can't go on when my body is strong and capable enough to exceed all expectations. It's my head that gives me false negative vibes about an intense workout and makes me want to give up. And it's my head that I'm going to have to re-train to reach my fitness goals and get back to my love of movement.

I know I'm most definitely not the only one who struggles with workout motivation and many people find this to be a massive obstacle in their health and wellness journeys. This becomes extremely apparent if you google workout motivation or such like terms. Lists of 'scientifically proven ways to boost motivation' and 'top tips to beat being unmotivated' sprawl across the screen and offer the answer to fall in love with fitness.

But here's my take on motivation.

Instead of giving yourself a reward for completing a workout like your a puppy completing a trick, or trying to zone out by blasting music between your ears, do something you actually enjoy, that gives you a rush when you finish- that's the real reward that will make a much bigger difference in your motivation! So I guess that's what I will be doing- and I'm thinking some crazy blogilates workouts and other intense and at the same time quite fun workouts that push me and yet make me want to win!

In the case of running, I'm going with what feels good at the moment. I don't want to force myself to run because I respect the sport too much to ruin it for me and thereby place it in the chore category. If 3-5km feels good now, then 3-5km it will be! We all have times in our lives when activites change, vary, shift and sail and we just have to go with the flow and as I always say; listen to our bodies. they know what's best for us!

Your turn:
Where are you with your fitness motivation right now? Motivated/ unmotivated/ neither here nor there?
Your tips to keep up the happy workout vibe?
Do you find you have peaks and troughs in your running routine?

I hope you all have a wonderful day, smile, love and... EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS!! Bye for now friends! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...