Tuesday 10 January 2017

How I Stay Fit, Healthy and Happy While Travelling

Hide ho friendly friends and long time no see!

Why is that?

Well, sometimes i like to adventure off into the unknown and travel adventurously with no plan whatsoever grabbing whatever plane is coming in next and seeing where that takes me.

Yeah.

Maybe not. Maybe one day... :P

Anywho, I did in fact choof off to the other side of Australia over the past weekend to visit my ginormous family and catch up with everyone for a few days (read; approximately 2 full days).

And so, I thought it would be interesting to share with you some of the tips and tricks I utilised whilst travelling away from home and staying away from home to ensure I stayed feeling happy healthy and energised- so, without further a-do, onto the post!

Plane food:

First of all I know I am a hungry beast. I also know that no amount or type of airport food has ever truly satisfied me or left me feeling all to swell. So, instead I decided to plan out the times I would be going and arriving places and plan out appropriate snacks and meals for such times.

My first place got into the stop off airport in Brisbane at around brekky time (and by then I was more than ready for brekky!) so I had whipped up some of my famous, raw chickpea blondies (rolled into balls) filled to the brim with protein, healthy fats , fibre and goodness to keep me going for a few more hours of flying!
Super delicious, fudge and feeling like I'm eating a dessert for breakfast- definitely makes flying that little bit more enjoyable!
And filled with great ingredients like chickpeas, oats, dates, nut butter etc. I could eat 6 big blondies and not have to worry at all (a lot less calorie dense than store bought bliss balls)
Definitely put a smile on this sleepy girls dial!
Now, onto the issue of eating somewhere foreign.

This didn't really affect me too much this time as i was lucky enough to be staying with my grandmother who lives on a farm and grows numerous veggies and cooks all home-style meals anyway (choc full of veggies) and always has a fridge stocked full of veggies!
But we all know a girl can't simply live off veggies, so when we landed in New Castle we did a quick trip up to the shops and all I bought was some oats, almond milk, greek yoghurt, beans and a few veg (didn't need) and with a little creativity came up with some delicious meals! Featured above was some cooked banana oats with unsalted peanuts thrown in and a side of greek yoghurt and sliced banana- delicious!
And more importantly- super filling to keep hungry Steph at bay!!

My other meals involved pretty much bowls piled high with all the veg!
I found the stash of veg, I found the steamer and I found myself some epic meals:

Steamed pumpkin, brocoli, carrot, peas, corn etc. etc.
So the tip for this one- cook what you love and what you normally eat- easy peasy simple pimple (plus your tummy won't go into a spiral with all this change!)
Another breakfast i thoroughly enjoyed was this nectarine oatmeal that i cooked up with rolled oats, banana and super ripe and delicious nectarines, into a saucepan with almond milk and cooked until smooth and creamy delicious:

Once again so filling and tasty- another perfect breakfast option thats easy, quick, affordable and will leave your body singing:
A spoon or two of greek yoghurt added in at the end for added protein and calcium!

It's so important to ensure you do enjoy yourself on holidays and with family but overdosing on foods filled with sugar, unhealthy fats and nothing else that will give your body the nutrients it needs- you will most definitely feel that energy slump, bloat-ness and unhappiness, so enjoy- but also stick to some of the originals; they're there for you too!
Another great big bowl of veg featured day two with added four beans and some home-grown potatoes!
Once again so filling and just what my body wanted:

Easy dinners when there is no time to cook (because let's face it, cooking all the time whilst on holidays is just sometimes not applicable!)
This one was just a store bought tabouleh salad with a fresh sliced tomato on the side:
Tangy, fresh, filled with vibrant herbs and really made my tummy feel good after this one- it just means I can enjoy myself more with others (and others probably enjoy me more!!)
Finally on my last day at Granny's, breakfast was high protein and filled with goodness:
Farm fresh eggs over smashed avo with a side of greek yoghurt, bananas and grapes (tip mash some banana and keep some whole for added sweetness)

And of course lunch:
You guessed it! Steamed cauli, broccoli, potato, peas, corn and beans- delicious and again great fuel for a long plane ride back home:
Plane travel and airports is probably where i have the most difficulty because you dont know what types of food will be available. I had my heart set on a nice big fresh subway but of course there as no subway, so instead I put together an afternoon snack of natural almond and a raw macadamia, date cacao bar from a magazine shop and then got myself a veggie burrito with rice, blackbeans, broccoli, avocado and salsa from a Mexican place.

Yeah sure it was quite oily and dense, but truthfully my body was craving it, so I had it and didn't feel as light and energised as I had (plus 4 hours sitting on a plane doesn't help) but sometimes you just gotta go with the flow- it will be fine!

As for workouts? I brought with me several print outs from Kayla Itsines and other online workouts that I just found by typing in 'do anywhere workouts' on Google, and simply did them each morning to feel energised and keep up fitness- done before the day even started and still give a great workout in a shorter time!

I also swam in Granny's pool and went on some walks- but ultimately it was all about family time and spending time with those I love, so whilst these are just some tips and tricks I used to stay well and happy on this trip, we shouldn't get too caught up in these sorts of things and just enjoy the time and experiences with those we love!!

Your turn:
What are your favourite tips and tricks for travelling?
Fav meal to make when you're not in your own kitchen?
What's your favourite way to exercise whilst away??

I hope you enjoyed this post and can take something away from it (even if it's just to enjoy your family's company and not get too caught up in a few days off from routine- a hard one for me!!) and also that you have a wonderful day/ week and I shall catch you next time!

As always; EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS!! Bye for now friendly friends! :D







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...