Saturday 3 January 2015

Running fuel

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone's day has started off well. Mine started with a bit of a surprise...

I've mentioned this before (probably multiple times) but my running routine is basically run, rest, run, rest and today was a run day.

Now, I don't have a fancy shmancy fitness watch or mile tracker or heart rate monitor or step counter... my distances are the result of how I'm feeling on my run and if my legs feel like they are starting to break- then I'll head on home.

So, recently my legs must be getting stronger and my fitness too (no longer huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf after 20 mins) because when I arrived back home after this morning's run (legs feeling quite similar to wobbly jelly) I looked at the clock and had to do a double take. It was 7:30am. I had run for 1 hour and 15 mins! What?!?
I think the reason it shocked me so much was because I was perfectly fine (if just a little bit more sore and stiff than usual)! I didn't feel like I'd been pounding the ground for over an hour and I guess that's a good thing?
Sure is Steph!
Feeling it now though Steph!

I will admit I'm starting to feel it now (tired-ness is creeping in) but in the name of food lovin' I knew that I really needed to start watching what I fed my running machine and make sure I was filling (and I mean FILLING) it with all the good stuff. Wanna see what I have been nom-ing on?

 Even on rest days a big bowl of steel cut oats full of complex carbs, good fats and protein, is a must as these days in between my runs are where my body recuperates and replenishes it's energy stores. Food is vital- no skimping on portions for this gal!
 I forgot to put vanilla protein powder in this bowl (to make it my favourite bowl of oats), but it's still full of protein from the oats, almond milk, chia seeds and cashew butter on top:
 Made with banana and lots (if I could underline twice I would) of cinnamon cooked in:
 And then of course stirred around:

Lunch involved plenty of delicious fresh veggies (thank you grocery shopping day!) delicious homemade spelt bread, hommus and mashed red kidney beans and lentils:
 The veggies that made this sandwich the monster it was included spinach, avocado, grated carrot and beetroot, cucumber, capsicum and tomato:
 My mouth didn't quite fit all the way around this one... but that's ok!
Dinner was another big plate of veg (all those vitamins and minerals work wonders for the bod)
 With some poached eggs topped with salsa on the side for a little more protein (essential for recovery)
 Brussels sprouts, broccoli, beans and white sweet potato roasted in coconut oil for around 45 mins:
 N-O-M
It's so important what you eat on your rest days as this can influence how you run on the following day! I only just learned that myself! So when I awoke this morning and nomed on 2 pitted medjool dates as a pre-run snack, I knew I would be fighting fit and ready to tackle the trails (well I don't really follow any trails...)

Upon return (and the surprise of finding out how long I was out for) I sipped on some coconut water for fast re-hydration and some added electrolytes etc. Whipped up a ginormous smoothie:
1 large frozen banana + a handful of mixed frozen berries and grapes+ a handful of kale + a handful of spinach + 3 big scoops of greek yoghurt + sprinkle of chia seeds + a dash of almond milk- all whazzed together until smooth.

Then I took a shower (still carrying around my coconut water with me everywhere I went) and raced back down to toast up two wholemeal crumpets, slather them with cashew butter and enjoy my deeeelicious brekky:
 Even though I wasn't very hungry after my long run I knew it was super important to put back all those nutrients into my body so I nom-ed my way through this (the hunger returned soon after starting) and was a very happy camper.


 I feel like I'm doing the right thing with my fueling and really all I'm doing is eating the delicious foods I love- which is the most important thing! ;)

Now my belly's full, my legs are jelly and my smile is big. Perfect. :)


How about you?
How do you re-fuel?
What do you eat on your rest days? Do you eat differently?
Do you ever lose track of the time when out for a run?

Bye for now folks- have a great day!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...