Tuesday 29 March 2016

Hangry Pants!

Hi friends, how are we today?

Good? Good.

As for me?

I'M HUNGRY!

You and I both know I go through stages of extreme hunger and kinda subdued, not really all that hungry but could eat if I had to hunger (which I'm guessing the vast majority of normal people in the world experience).

And yep, you guessed it, I've swung back into the hangry category.

I never know what causes my extreme hunger, or how my body can fit in so much food, but you see, the thing is, I don't care. I care about the types of food I put in my body. I care about where that food comes from, how I can lovingly prepare it so the natural and beautiful flavours remain and I care about making sure I can get the most nutrition out of all of my meals. But as to size- I simply do not care.
 This smoothie consisted of 1 frozen banana + 1 handful frozen zucchini + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + large soaking of rolled oats in almond milk + 3 big scoops greek yoghurt +1 massive handful of both kale and spinach + 1/2 an avocado + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + water
 I had to drink the remaining bit that was left in the blender separately because it wouldn't all fit in the jar!
Not being one to have ever count calories in my life, the very idea just seems insane. If my body is telling me it's about to eat the insides of my stomach if I don't eat a relatively calorically dense meal in the next 3.5 seconds then I'm not going to take the extra time to make sure my half an avocado isn't going to push me over my calorie levels for this meal.
I needed a snack. Peanut butter had to be involved. I think the ratio of celery to peanut butter may have been around 1:1000 :D

Now, I completely understand the reason for counting calories in some circumstances. When you've entirely mucked up your metabolism through not eating, or the other extreme of binge eating, it becomes hard to properly interpret your hunger signals and in turn can lead to under/ over consuming a lot more/ a lot less than your body requires. So, by all means, calorie count your way to a restored metabolism and a restored relationship between you, your body and your metabolism, so you can once again trust your hunger signals.

But as for me, if I am hungry I shall eat. I shall eat what I desire in the quantity that I desire because I trust that my body knows and needs this fuel. Sometimes when I don't feel the hungry bug, I have to eat a little more than I feel my body needs because if I'm satisfied after a simple fruit smoothie for breakfast- I know my body requires a heck of a lot more than that to function on a day-to-day basis.
 Let's just appreciate the size of this avocado for a second... it was huge. It was delicious.

Recently I have upped my mileage a bit more, so I'm guessing that could be one of the contributing factors behind this sudden spike in hunger and in all honesty this makes me quite happy. I love that my body is burning through the fuel I feed it on the daily and I love that I've got a well working, efficient machine that enables me to move, run and do everything else with energy and enthusiasm.

No, I do not calorie count. yes I will have that extra piece of dark chocolate after dinner if I'm still hungry and no there will be no guilt felt on my part because I know and trust my body and from past experience this has worked out perfectly!

What about you?
Are you a calorie counter or do you go by the waves of your hunger signals?
Do you sometimes have to make yourself eat a bit more because you know your body needs it?
Favourite post-workout meal?

I hope you all have a lovely day, look after those bodies that do so much for you, do something you love and as always; eat something delicious! Bye for now friends!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...