Friday 12 December 2014

Perfect pumpkin pancakes!

Happy Saturday everyone! How are we all feeling? I am pumped, energised and full of food. Not just any food though...
PUMPKIN PANCAKES!
Pancake Sunday mysteriously morphed into pancake Saturday when I woke up with a craving for... pancakes (how many times can I fit 'pancake' into a sentence?)

Seeing as it's Saturday = grocery shopping day, I always want to use up some veggies that were leftover from the week... hello pumpkin at the bottom of the veggie drawer!

I steamed him up, squashed him down and swirled him round and round into the batter, creating a soft, fluffy and (sorry in advance) moist pancake bursting with cinnamon and oozing with love. Especially when topped off with nut butter (although I'm sure some maple syrup wouldn't be too bad either!)

Did I mention they're wheat, dairy, sugar free and vegan?

Did I mention they're utterly delicious?

Ok, ok.. I'll stop.. how about the recipe?

Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes
Serves 1
Ingredients:
25g wholemeal spelt flour
15g rolled oats
10g oat bran
1 tablespoon psyllium husks (optional, makes the pancakes stick together better)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
A few big dashes of cinnamon (to your liking... I like A LOT!)
1/3 cup pureed pumpkin (fresh/ canned)
milk of choice/ water (about 1/2 cup)

Method:
1. If using fresh pumpkin, cut up and steam for around 25 mins until nice and soft- then mash it up!
 2. Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine:
3. Add in the pumpkin mash and about 2 tablespoons liquid (milk/ water- I used water) and stir. Thew mixture will be quite dry and crumbly. Keep slowly adding liquid until mixture comes to pancake batter consistency (slightly thicker than pouring cream)
4. Heat a non-stick frypan with some oil/ butter over medium heat and then spoon on your mix (probably stick to smaller pancakes as these guys could fall apart if made too big without the eggs.)
5. After a few mins, flip over and cook for another few mins until both sides are golden brown:
6. Turn onto some paper towel to drain away the oil and then top with anything you like (peanut butter and cashew butter for me!)
7. ENJOY!
Of course a few measly pancakes weren't going to fill me up, so alongside them was a gigantic green smoothie!

In the blender went:
1 chopped frozen banana, 1/2 chopped frozen avocado, 1 big handful of kale, 1 big handful of spinach, 3 scoops of greek yoghurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and about 1/3 cup oat milk- all whazzed up together until smoothy smooth.
 Delicious.
But back to the pancakes!
 Perfectly sweet, beautifully orange and generously spread with nut butter... what more do you need?
Pancakes truly are breakfast's take on a taco...
These definitely put a smile on my face :)
And also made for a truly heartbreaking last bite!
I'm sure they'll make a reappearance though ;)

What about you?
Do you like pancakes?
What's your favourite type? I've got to say, I think vanilla protein pancakes could be my fav!
Do you ever put pumpkin puree in your baking? I think it just adds a little extra something :)

Bye for now friends! Have a great day! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...