Sunday 11 October 2015

Meal prep for the week!

Hello there!

As you may have guessed from the title, Steph is right back into the swing of things with some meal prep from what is most likely going to be a hectic first week back at school for term 4 (also known as exam term!!!).
I feel like I need an extra week off at home to truly feel as though I've had some holidays (5 days- where most of those days were spent getting over fatigue and jet lag- is not enough to rest and recover and rejuviante for what is definitely going to be a challenging next few weeks!).

Alas, I do not have an extra week, so I had to jump into my organised and prepared Steph jeans and start getting my life back in an ordered fashion to prevent any unwanted stress. In short, I did some meal prep for the week's lunches.

Because I'm not one to enjoy eating the same thing day-in-day-out (unless it is nut butter- even then I change it up between nut types ;) my meal prep involves two different creations that cater for 2 days (four days in total) and generally the 2 meals it creates are slightly different as well.

Now that I've successfully confused you, I'll explain what I mean and hopefully you can gain some meal prep inspo!

First off the ranks was a kind of green salad-y type thing-o made with lots of fresh yummy flavours and the capacity to change up the grains (which is what I did).
Here's how to make your very own:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of cooked grain (I used millet and freekeh)
5 chopped cherry tomatoes
1/4 red capsicum chopped
1 green capsicum copped
2 x 125g tin mixed 4 beans
Handful of bean sprouts

Green sauce:
1 bunch basil
1 large handful spinach
squeeze of lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Method:
1. Place half the veg in a bowl- the other in another bowl.
2. Add each grain to a single bowl (or just the one bowl if you have just one grain)
3. Place every ingredient for the green sauce into a small food processor and process until combined.
4. Stir half the sauce into each bowl.
5. Transfer to separate containers and store in the fridge until required 

Dee-lish!

The second meal I prepped was original going to be ratatouille, but then I started adding some more random stuff in, so now I call it a delicious random assortment stew!
 Ingredients:
You can basically chuck any veg you like in the pot but here's what I used:
A handful of chopped sweet potato (2 cm cubes)
handful of chopped white potato (2 cm cubes)
1/4 large zucchini (chopped to the same size as potato)
1/4 large eggplant (same size)
handful of chopped cherry tomatoes
4-5 chopped button mushrooms
1 teaspoon garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste

Polenta:
Either ready made polenta, or follow directions on packet (vary) then spread onto baking paper, leave to the side for 10-15 mins, then slice into cubes, fry off slightly in a pan with some olive oil.

Method:
Place the garlic and potatoes in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for a few minutes until fragrant and slightly browned
2. Add all the other veggies and cook for a further few minutes
3. Add some water and continue cooking for 1 minute- then add the tomato paste, herbs and 2 cups of water and stir to combine.
4. Place a lid over the pot and boil for 20 minutes (make sure the water doesn't run out- but don't add so much that it loses flavour)
5. Remove lid, continue cooking for 5 mins until most of the water is absorbed and then stir through the slightly fried polenta bites:

 Tasty leftover polenta never goes to waste!

 6. Leave to cool slightly and then transfer to a container to be placed in the fridge until required.

ENJOY!


I can't tell you how relived I am to have 4 meals prepped and waiting in the fridge for this week and even though it takes out about an hour from my day- it definitely saves me so much time during the week! Definitely give it a go!!

Your turn:
Are you a meal prepper?
Favourite meals to prep?
Do you eat the same meals day in day out because that's how your prep works?

That's it from me today folks. We'll see how much posting I can get done during the week, but until next time- have a great week, eat something awesome and do something everyday that makes you proud to be you! Bye for now friendly friends!! :D






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...