Friday 8 May 2015

Che-rry... Cherry baby!

Hidy-ho folks! Happy Saturday!!
You may remember from Thursday's Thinking Out Loud post that I mentioned picking up a bag of frozen cherries...
I have been missing out people! Why'd no one tell me how awesome (and cheap/ available- complete opposite of fresh cherries) frozen cherries are!?! This reminds me of the time I first tried a Medjool date and I felt like the world had been keeping one of the best tasting things in the world from me! (Yep, definitely the world's fault... not the fact that I suspected I was allergic to them :)

Any who, I first tried the frozen cherries whazzed up in a smoothie with a frozen banana, some greek yoghurt and almond milk:

Alongside some peanut butter bites (oats + chia seeds + cinnamon + oat bran + PB + almond milk- in the freezer for 30 mins)
And my life was changed.
I always knew I loved the taste of cherries but never thought how amazing they would taste in a smoothie!!

Of course I had to keep experimenting with them then- and you know what I threw them into next:
 A big saucepan full of steel cut oats!
 1/2 cup steel cut oats + 1 chopped banana + 1 handful frozen cherries + 1 cup almond milk + 1 cup water- boiled gently for around 20-25 mins until all the liquid was absorbed and then combined with 2 spoons of greek yoghurt:
 CHERRY CHEESECAKE OATS!
Topped with mixed nut and chia seed butter :)
Again- so , so good :)

Which brings me to this morning, where I was craving crepes and thought a smoothie would go nicely with that:
So, once again I whazzed up a cherry smoothie (a lot more yoghurt this time I think, as there seemed to be more this time) which, once again tasted phenomenal:
And went about making some crepes.
Started off great!
Then I tried to flip them...
Let's just say I enjoyed some delicious pancake scramble for brekky! However one of my crepes did turn out alright:

The other... not so pretty. So I dolloped on a lot of nut butter and called it beautiful:
It was lucky I made this cherry smoothie because it lifted my crepe-broken heart and made my breakfast 1000000x better. Good job cherries!
I'm also pretty stoked with how the first crepe turned out, so all-in-all it wasn't really that much of a pancake disaster :)
I also need to mention how much (for whatever reason) this nut butter tastes like melted white chocolate (especially with those oats pictured above!) I have no idea why, but I am not complaining! NOM!


Unfortunately all this cherry love is resulting in a quickly-dwindling packet of my frozen loves! Gasp! Ahhh well, I still very much have an obsession with frozen plums as well and have a few stocked away in the freezer to keep me going ;)

What about you?
Do you have a relatively recent fav food that you feel like the world was keeping from you?
Are you a frozen cherry fan?
Favourite way to use/ eat cherries?

That's it from me today folks- I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with lots of great eats and even more smiles!! Bye for now! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...