Monday 11 May 2015

Stress and Nutrition

Hi, my name is Stephanie and I'm a stress-head.
Probably one of the biggest stress-heads you'll ever meet.
Yep.
And currently I'm going through one of the top ten most stressful times of our entire lives. My final years of school.
So when I noticed a headline article on a healthy living magazine about stress and the affect it can have on our body I became more than a little intrigued and decided to research more about this. Here are some things I found about the despised stress monster:
  • Stress can decrease nutrient absorption
  • Can increase nutrient excretion
  • Can affect how the body uses the nutrients
Now I'm no medical student/ dietician/ expert in any way shape or form (unless being a stress-controlled being my entire life counts? ;) So I'm not going to try and explain how the heck stress can affect our nutrient balances/ storage/ usage. Instead I wanted to talk about how I'm trying to use my diet to maximise my nutrition through a time that will no doubt leave me pulling at my hair every now and then!
First and foremost I don't have a drastic change in my diet when I know a stressful period is coming up. I don't need the added stress of my body freaking out over a whole-new way of eating (for example becoming paleo- I don't think my vegetarian body would cope) instead I try adding things in to what I'm already eating just to add a bit more bang for my buck nutrition wise.

Exhibit A: Chia seeds
They may seem small and insignificant, but they pack a mighty punch nutrients wise and the fact that they are so small and insignificant means I can literally chuck them in anywhere and not notice them:

Smoothies:
 Oats:


Pancakes:
 Exhibit B: Lentils
I think I can/ have added lentils to just about anything. They may be little but they are super nutritious packed with fiber, folate, iron protein- the list goes on!
I pop some drained and rinsed lentils into lasagnes, curries, soups, stews, nachos, salads and even sandwiches!

Tacos:
 And finally...
Exhibit C: Spinach/ kale
I know this one seems kind of obvious but I can unquestionably feel a difference when I up my intake of these dark leafy greens. If I feel like I'm going under the weather or just lacking in something I'll chuck a handful of either of these into whatever I'm cooking. And when I say whatever I'm cooking:
I mean whatever I'm cooking!

Those were just a few of the examples of common foods I up in my diet when times get stressful and I know my body needs extra help. Nutrition is so important to stay on top of when times get busy/ stressful, even though it can fall swiftly to the bottom of our priorities list- it will make =life so much easier if we nourish our bodies with the whole/ healthy/ delicious foods it craves.

Your turn:
Are you a stress head?
Do you ever enhance your diet when you're going through a stressful period of life?
Spinach in smoothies? Yay/ nay? I am a super yay for this one! So easy to include so many nutrients!

Well that's it from me today folks, I hope you all have a fabulous day, don't stress too much! Bye for now!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...