Friday 7 August 2015

Smoothies... and the weird things I put in them

Smoothies are one of my absolute favourite meals. True.

I fill smoothies with all the typical ingredients. False.

Now, I'm not saying that my smoothies are made up of the leftover roast veggies and tofu I had last night, or that I throw in some tomato sauce for added flavour. No, I add in strange ingredients to add to the awesome-ness that is a smoothie.
Adding silken tofu for added creaminess, thickness and filling protein, some frozen avocado for a deliciously ice-cream like texture, soaked oats for a cake batter flavour,spinach and kale for all their benefits and vibrant colours, mint for an mouth-watering
chocolate and mint combo, even steamed and mashed pumpkin for added flavour and... magical pumpkin powers.
 I have no fear when it comes to adding slightly odd foods that you wouldn't consider smoothie worthy, to my smoothies and there are quite a few other strange (but probably amazing) ingredients that I have yet to try!

I hear sweet potato makes an awesome smoothie addition and that quinoa adds great volume and filling protein to the delicious drink.

There was one ingredient I cam across however that left me slightly sceptical.

Frozen zucchini.

See, growing up I'd only thought of zucchini as that disgusting green veggie that was always served to me extremely mushy and cooked to the point of appearing almost grey (it kinda grew on me and now I sometimes overcook my zucchini circles voluntarily!). It was definitely on the list of some of my least favourite vegetables along with cauliflower and mushrooms.

I also didn't realise it was possible to eat raw zucchini until I started blogging myself and immersed myself into the Healthy Living community (where I read numerous blogs showcasing pictures of cut up raw veg including zucchini and cauliflower, as a snack.

So, for a while, I always told myself I should try frozen zucchini in my smoothies, and then never got around to it.

Until yesterday.

The night before, I cut up 1/2  a medium zucchini, popped it in a zip lock bag and chucked it in the freezer overnight.

The next day, I threw the zucchini, a chopped frozen banana, 1/4 frozen avocado, spinach, greek yoghurt, vanilla protein powder, crunchy peanut butter, soaked oats in macadamia milk and some water into a blender and blended until smooth.
The result was a HUGE green smoothie, super thick, super delicious, it was simply SUPER!
There was absolutely no trace of the zucchini (and spinach for that matter) other than the gorgeous bright green colour, and with the delicious flavours of banana, peanut butter and cake-batter like protein powder, this totally hit the spot!
If you're looking for something to add more substance, nutrients and creaminess to your smoothies without sacrificing on the taste- zucchini is the answer!!
Boy was I full after this monster!!
As usual, the thicker the better, I love straining to get the thick smoothie threw the straw- it lasts longer and gives my mouth a workout!!

So double tick for frozen zucchini!

Your turn:
What strange ingredient/s do you add to your smoothies?
Have you ever added frozen zucchini?
thick or thin smoothies? If it requires a spoon to eat, it is perfect for me!

That's it from me today friends, I hope you all have a lovely day, remember to smile and as usual eat something delicious!! Bye for now! :D

2 comments:

  1. zucchini in smoothie that sounds odd as well as intresting. Will defnitely give it a try.
    I tried adding broccoli to my smoothies and the result was ahem ahem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Broccoli, that has intrigued me yet again, even though the results were ahem ahem ;)!
      Steph 2 chef xx

      Delete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...