Saturday 28 March 2015

Chocolate and mint...

Some combinations in life are genius and whatever lucky folk stumbled upon those brilliant combos... I thank you indefinitely.

Examples?
Tomato and basil
Sweet potatoes and nut butter
Peanut butter and banana
Cheese and crackers
Chips and salsa
PB&J
Caramel and salt
Pancakes and maple syrup
Carrots and cheese...
Maybe that's going a little far... even for me ;)

The list goes on and on! To be quite honest I'm a (or sometimes was) a huge fan of all these combos, they just work!

Although one combo I never quite understood is chocolate and mint.

First of all I'm not a big mint fan to begin with. I blame it on those white, chewy, teeth-ripping Minties that come in massive bags that we used to take with us on car trips. I'm not gonna lie- I over did it one time. Now I hate mint. Haven't had a Mintie since.

I really loved the wrappers though :)

So how come when I was mindlessly scrolling through Pinterest and scanned my eyes over a picture of a chocolate-y mint-y smoothie, did I start to want one. To really want one. To neeeed one!

Yesterday, out grocery shopping, saw me do something I had never done. I went over to my beloved fresh herb section.... and did not pick up any fresh basil/ coriander/ rosemary. Nope I picked up some fresh mint leaves.

Under 24 hours later and a few torn up fresh mint leaves were being thrown into my blender! (With a couple other ingredients ;)

Decadent Chocolate Mint Smoothie

Ingredients:
1 chopped frozen banana
1/2 chopped frozen avocado
1 handful kale
1 handful spinach
4-5 fresh, torn mint leaves
3 big spoons greek yoghurt
1 scoop choc protein powder + 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder (or just use around 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder)
1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)

Method:
1. Layer the ingredients into your blender so the leaves are weighed down by something. (My layering generally goes; some frozen banana, kale, frozen avocado, spinach, mint leaves, protein powder and cacao powder, yoghurt, more frozen banana and milk)
2. Whaz until smooth!
3. Enjoy!!

On first sip... I was surprised! It was so fresh and had a really nice flavour. It was hard to stop after one sip, but I had to because my coconut truffles were still hardening in the freezer..
Recipe for truffles here.
 Thick, creamy, chcoclate-y, mint-y... it really was a perfect smoothie!
 I think I finally understand the concept of adding mint to chocolate- it makes it so much fresher... meaning you can eat more, as it's less rich! Genius!
 My mum's favourite ice cream flavour is mint chocolate chip ice cream, so I guess I had to accept the combo sooner or later!


What about you?
Favourite food/ flavour combo? Gotta be sweet potato and nut butter for me- it's like a super decadent dessert!

Fan of mint and chocolate?
Mindless pinterest scroller too? It's my biggest procrastination when my mind has had enough of homework! :)

That's it from me this fine Sunday- full from a fabulous... smoothie (yep, good try alliteration)! I hope everyone has a great day and make sure you eat something awesome (chocolate and mint, perhaps?) Bye for now friends! :D

2 comments:

  1. I love a good smoothie recipe! This one sounds good! My favorite flavor combo of the moment would have to be apples and peanut butter! Oh... or swiss cheese and apples. Maybe a little weird...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay,
    Apples and peanut butter! How could I forget!
    Steph 2 chef xx

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...