Saturday 17 May 2014

Pesto love!... Again :)

You guys remember my recent PESTO-FESTO? Yeh...that was gooood!
I've had pesto on my mind ever since (seriously if I had to choose one sauce/ spread for the rest of my life.. I still couldn't- I love peanut butter too much... but if I could choose two, it would definitely be pesto and peanut butter :) so when I was doing my weekly grocery shop, into the trolley went another bunch of basil leaves!
This time? PIZZA!

Parsnip wholemeal spelt base pizza with pesto, vegan cheese and lots-a-veggies!
Ingredients:
60g parsnip- peeled and chopped
80g wholemeal spelt flour (I actually used a wholemeal spelt flour bread mix- any flour should work though)
dried oregano (to your liking)
1/3 cup lukewarm water
1 teaspoon dried yeast

Topping Ideas:
My pizza had:
Steamed veggies (pumpkin, sweet potato and beetroot)
no-added-salt tomato paste
some antipasto mix (olives, semi dried tomatoes and artichokes)
pineapple
mushrooms

Sauces:
Vegan cheese-
1 tablespoon hommus,
1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon water

What to do- mix together, then drizzle over pizza

Pesto-
1 handful of basil leaves
 1 handful of spinach
 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
a small handful of pine nuts
a sprinkle of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon+ of olive oil

What to do- place in a small food processor and process until smooth (a couple of minutes)

Method:
1. Steam the parsnip for 30 minutes or until very soft

2. Mix the dried yeast with the luke warm water and leave to sit for 5 mins:
 3. Place the flour and oregano in a bowl and stir to combine:
4. Mash your parsnip, add to flour along with yeast mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until starting to come together:

5. Lightly flour a clean surface and knead the dough for 10 mins: (keep adding flour if it sticks to the bench)
6. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover bowl with a clean tea towel, place somewhere warm to sit for 45 mins
7. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. Make your pesto and vegan cheese (recipes above), chop and steam veggies(pumpkin, sweet potato and beetroot) for around 20 mins
Pesto:
 8. Once dough has rested for 45 mins, remove tea towel and punch down the dough, lightly knead 3-4 times on a floured surface, then roll out and move onto a pizza tray lined with baking paper.
9. Spoon on some tomato paste, and spinach:
10. Then start topping like a mad woman!
*Don't forget the pesto!
11. Place in the oven to cook for 20-30 mins, until base is crispy and cheese has gone nice and golden :)
12. Enjoy!
I like my pizzas with loads of topping and a bit doughy (I know lots of people like simple crispy based pizzas.. I don't get it!) so if you're like me- this is the pizza for you!
All my favourite foods seem to start with 'P'- Pesto, Peanut butter, Pasta, Pizza, Bananas( It's pretty much a combination of a normal p with an upside down p!)
Have a good Sunday everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...