Saturday 10 May 2014

What!?! No eggs?

Eggs-actly! Sorry- pardon the pun ;)
I'm not actually vegan... this may come as a shock as all of my recipes are vegan.
I'm actually a vegetarian, who doesn't eat dairy, processed/added sugar and avoids wheat occasionally, if you need a label!
So.. where am I going with this? I eat eggs. BUT- I love experimenting with substitutes to eggs, because I want my blog and it's contents to be accessible to as many people with a dietary restriction (or not) as possible!
I've done the impossible!
Not only have I created delicious, fudgy cookies without eggs, but I also created... wait for it.... CREPES! No eggs + No falling apart!
I guess I've been trying to do this for over a year now (sooo many pancake scrambles people) but today was the day when I did it!
VEGAN CREPES: (Don't like crepes? Those cookies I mentioned before will be featuring too!)
Ingredients:
chia gel- 1 tablespoon chia seeds mixed with 1 tablespoon milk ( I used oat)
1/2 a cup of wholemeal spelt flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 banana
milk of choice ( I used oat milk)

Method:
1. Break apart the 1/4 banana and place in a small bowl, heat in the microwave for 20 seconds, then mash:
2. Place the wholemeal spelt flour and coconut flour in a bowl and stir to combine
3. Add the chia gel, banana and a splash of milk and whisk (It should be pretty hard to whisk)
4. Keep adding milk until you get a pouring cream consistency (I added quite a bit 1 cup+)
5. Heat a large frypan with a light spray of oil. Transfer crepe batter to a pouring jug:
6. Pour 1/4 mixture into pan and immediately start shaking pan back and forth until the batter is thin and not moving/ running any more. Wait for about 30 seconds, keep nudging sides up with a spatula, then shake the pan and hopefully the crepe will start moving about- then you can flip it!

*Now remember the golden rule in pancake/crepe making- the first one is always a dud, don't be disheartened if it doesn't work first try... mine didn't!)
This was my second attempt:
7. Leave on for another 30 seconds or so to brown up the other side, then place on some paper towel to drain away the oil
8. Continue with 3 more crepes (or however many you get from your mixture)..
 ..when you finish one, place filling in and roll up so it can melt while the others cook!
Coconut butter:
 Nut butter:
I also made a smoothie with my leftover banana. It was 3/4 of a banana, 1 handful frozen mango, 1 handful frozen berries, 2 handfuls of spinach and a splash of soy milk:
Once your finished making and rolling your crepes.. EAT!

Another sign it was a good day:
I couldn't resist:
 They were soo thin and scrumptious and tasted exactly how I remembered crepes tasting.. YUM!
WHO WANTS COOKIES?
Ingredients:
1 cup of muesli plus 2 tablespoons
1 dried fig chopped
1 banana
1 tablespoon nut butter
chia gel- 1 tablespoon chia seeds mixed with 1 tablespoon milk of choice

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper
2. Chop banana and mash with a fork, then microwave with nut butter for 20 seconds, stir to combine:

3. Place muesli in a bowl with the dried fig (optional- brings such a good taste!) and banana mixture and chia seeds, stir to combine- it will be quite wet:
4. Form into balls and place on the baking tray:
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until slightly golden brown:
6. Top with anything you like (I went for coconut butter- you can't beat coconut butter)
7. EAT!
Maybe even with some grapes and soy milk :)

So soft and chewy- just the way I like it :)
But really, the star of the show was the crepes:
I mean egg-free- come on!
Have a great Mother's day tomorrow!
:D





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...