Sunday 12 October 2014

Why I love chia seeds ♥

Chia seeds. Salvia hispanica, commonly known as chia, is a species of flowering plant in the mint family, Lamiaceae, native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala.

Ok, so that's the definition of chia seeds and we've all probably heard that they are listed as a super food (I don't really believe in super foods, but that's a topic for another day) but do we actually know why they are so good? I know I didn't, so I did a bit of research and was very, very surprised at my findings!
Now I use chia seeds almost every day- smoothies, oats, overnight oats, as an egg replacer, or simply sprinkled raw on something.
Knowing only that they were good for me. Of course the annoying little kid in me came out and started screaming 'Why?' over and over again and no matter how many times my annoyed parent side of me replied with 'They just are' I knew I was going to have to find out.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the facts plain and simple in front of me. How can one little seed be so amazing?
  • Loaded with antioxidants
  • Almost all the carbs in the seeds are fiber
  • High quality protein
  • High in omega-3 fatty acids
  • High in many important bone nutrients
  • Can improve exercise performance
  • Super easy to incorporate into your diet!
After being presented with all of this information, I was almost swayed to categorize this amazing little seed as a super food. Almost ;)

Are you impressed? Well if you are, I also came across some awesome recipes using them too :)

How about some chia seed and mushroom risotto?
Or maybe Lemon chia seeds scones with sweet lemon glaze:
Grain-free chia buckwheat pizza:
Vegan peach, oat and chia smoothie:
Well, all those recipes are on my list to make!

I hope you've learnt a little something about chia seeds (I sure did!) and maybe will pick up a bag on your next shop (I do tend to wait until they're on special)

That's it from me- what's your favourite 'super food'?

Bye guys! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...