Friday 10 April 2015

Peanut butter roll bites!

Hey, hey it's Saturday!
So I woke up this morning still contemplating whether or not to go for a long run (my food has been feeling a bit iffy lately) and I just really didn't feel like it. I know I'm burnt out and need to break... it's just so hard! Alas, I did have a bit more of a lie in and instead swapped my run for a few Purely Twins workouts instead.
With not taking advantage of the gorgeous weather by going for a run, I decided that today I should create a recipe so I can have nice sunny pictures. So I did! :)

I'm sure you can tell by now that my favourite recipes to create are dessert-like breakfasts and today was no different! At first I was like- let's make some cinnamon scrolls! Then I was like- Wait, I've already done that... twice. ;) But I still wanted something scroll-y. And a bit biscuit-y. And a bit awesome.
Enter the Peanut butter roll bite:
 Warm, gooey, rich, fudgey, slightly sweet, crisp on the outside, slight biscuit texture... YUM!
Did I mention it's dairy, wheat, sugar, vegan and super healthy full of whole grains? Bonus! Because it also tastes amazing!

Peanut butter roll bites:

Ingredients:
40g wholemeal spelt flour
14g oat bran
15g rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon (adjust for preferences or leave out altogether- but don't really! ;)
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup almond milk
Peanut butter (for filling- feel free to sub whatever you like in for the filling; nut butter, coconut butter, jam, etc.)
Coconut oil (glaze for baking- sub in some extra almond milk if you prefer)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the flour, oat bran, oats, cinnamon and chia seeds in a bowl. Stir to combine:
 3. Stir together the baking powder and almond milk in a small bowl. Add to the dry mixture.
4. Using a metal spoon, stir until mixture comes together and forms a ball (you can use your hands here if you want) let sit for 5 mins to rest:
 5. Set up your work station:
 6. Lightly flour the bench and dough. Roll out to form a long flat disc: (Keep lifting up off bench and flouring to prevent sticking)
 7. Get your peanut butter (may need to heat in microwave slightly) or other filling:
 8. Spread onto dough:
 9. Roll into a log (fairly tight):
 10. Using a sharp knife/ serrated knife, slice into 1cm bites:
  11. Place on tray (yep, I ran out of baking paper :) Melt coconut butter slightly and brush onto bites:
 12. Bake in oven for 10-15 mins until hard on top

 13. Transfer to wire rack to cool slightly and then enjoy!
 These are best straight form the oven but can be kept for a few days in an air tight container (I would recommend reheating slightly prior to eating)
 I don't know why I'm so obsessed with scrolls. I think it's something about the filling being evenly spread throughout so each bite is a little magical. If I ever eat something that isn't evenly spread, I have to eat the plain bits first so the awesome bits are left to last... and the plain bits aren't great. So scrolls are perfect!
 Mmmm, warm, gooey peanut butter :)

 I had these guys for brekky along with a creamy dreamy green smoothie- for added deliciousness!
 And now some pictures to get you salivating:
 Yes, let's take a moment to appreciate that scroll.
Good.
 Happy, happy days!

Your turn:
Do you sometimes have to take a break to rekindle your love of running? Do you find it hard?
Do you prefer evenly spread flavour or build-ups of awesome?
What would be the perfect filling for your breakfast scroll?

That's that for today folks! Make sure you have an awesome day, eat something delicious and treat your body nicely :) Bye! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...