Monday 27 April 2015

Slip an extra veggie in!

If you know me you would know:
  • That I love positivity, being positive and positive people
  • Admire bravery and individuality
  • Love to exceed expectations
If you don't know me all that well, but read my blog quite regularly you would know:
  • I love to slip a veggie in wherever possible!
Especially now when I'm back at school and meal prep is rushed and lunches are packed and I don't have the luxury to slow roast a big tray of veg and nutritious foods for meals... I love to slip a veggie in whenever, wherever and however I can!
I find that if I don't do this, I suffer! My stomach suffers. My brain suffers. I need the veg!

Here's how I do it!
In a rush with breakfast as you have to make lunch at the same time to pack for later and also get ready for your day and the billion other things mornings entail?

Green smoothie full of greens!
 Literally there was about 2 massive handfuls of kale and spinach in this one smoothie- yet I couldn't even taste it!
1 frozen banana (quite large) + 1/2 frozen mango + 1 massive handful kale + 1 massive handful spinach + 3 big spoons greek yoghurt + 1/2 cup water- whazzed until nice and smooth.
Sipped alongside 2 wholemeal crumpets slathered in crunchy peanut butter:
Nom.
Fresh chopped veggies can take up a lot of room in a container and yet leave you unsatisfied because of their low kilojoules, so to add maximum amount of veggies to my lunch and enhance the flavour I chop the veg up, add to a fry pan with some olive oil and sautee on high heat for a few mins until softened (and also shrunk in size):
This was chopped broccoli, brussels sprouts, capsicum, tomato, snow peas, zucchini and red cabbage, followed by some cooked brown rice and spinach for 1 minute at the end:
So tasty!
And full of so many good veggies!
Sometimes I do crave the crisp fresh veg (which is also so important to include in our diets!) and so make awesome salads by adding in some extra flavour in the form of falafels/ bean balls/ tofu etc.
Chopped carrot, cucumber, tomato, snow peas, red cabbage and baked eggplant falafel.

All the pretty colours!

And sometimes when it gets to dinner time and I've been crunchy my way tirelessly through crisp crunchy fruit and veg, my mouth just needs baby food something softer, easier to digest and still super yummy!

Enter a veggie mash bowl!

Steam root veggies (pumpkin, parsnip, swede, beetroot), mash root veggies, add cooked rice, spinach, frozen corn and oven-roasted chest nuts!

Pre-mixed:
This rice was rice plus- one of my favourites! It has brown rice, buckwheat, wild rice, quinoa, seeds and probably some other stuff I've missed.

All mixed together and topped with some hommus:
This is my kind of comfort food :)
There you have it! That's a typical day of eating for me, where I try and squish in as many veggies as possible into each of my meals, leaving me energised, focused and full of essential nutrients! Happy Steph!

What about you?
How do you sneak in a few extra veggies?
Do you find you feel a difference when you lack on the veg front?
Ever make food because it's simply easier to eat?

That's all for today folks! Have a great day, enjoy something delicious, tell a loved one you love them and then just smile! Bye for now! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...