Thursday 9 January 2014

Childhood Memories

        

         As a kid (no... I'm a teenager now!) my favourite lunch ever was a baked bean and cheese toastie. :) Yesterday, that's what I wanted....
'But you don't eat cheese or wheat?!?' my confused logically self told me. Luckily for me I also have a creative, 'No obstacles are gonna block my way!' part of me aswell. I was going to have a baked bean and cheese toastie no matter what!


...And here it is:
I present to you my Home made, pumpkin, hommus baked bean toastie (what a name!)

Ingredients: (serves 1)
100 g pumpkin, chopped
5-6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
90g butter beans
1-2 Tablespoons hommus (I chose two :)- the hommus gives the beans that cheesy kind of flavour.
Optional- two slices of bread if you want to make a toastie (I used home made, wheat free bread)

Method:
1. Steam/ boil the pumkin for about 20 minutes, then make into mash!
2. Add the tomatoes and 3 tablespoons of water to a small saucepan, cook on medium until you can squish the tomatoes.
3. Add the mashed pumpkin to the tomatoes and stir for about 2 minutes
4. Add the beans and hommus and stir for another 2 minutes (add more water if required)
       These are what my baked beans looked like:

5.  (Optional step if you want to make a toastie)  Spread your beans onto a slice of bread, top with the other slice and place in a sandwich grill until lightly golden (do not press down too much as the inside will squish out!)
I paired my delicious sandwich with a side of mashed root veggies. Really, the sandwich is so filling, you don't need a side!

Enjoy your healthier version of baked beans on toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...