Ok you probably guessed it from that intro (and also from the title..) it's fun facts Friday- the Foodie version! Wanna hear some cool facts about food?
1. India is the world's largest producer of bananas, producing nearly 22 million tonnes in 2007
I use this picture in so many of my posts!
This one was interesting- when I think of India I don't jump straight to bananas, I mean I know how many bananas my family alone goes through in one week! I guess they export them around the world... but still!
2. So India might produce the most bananas, but China is the largest producer of garlic accounting for nearly 75% of the world's output
3. Carbohydrates are chemical compounds that are made up of oxygen, hydrogen and carbon
4. The water melon can be classified as both a fruit and vegetable
Well apparently it's a fregetable.
It's planted and harvested like vegetables and grown using vegetable production systems and also apparently the rules for what is and isn't a vegetable isn't set in stone- like pumpkin and cucumber.
The message to take away from this one is... watermelon is delicious. So eat it. Like this:
5. There are over 30 species of mushroom that glow in the dark
So, wait. I'm confused... why are we freaking out about electricity running out?
6. The top of the pineapple, after cleaning and drying, can be planted in soil and a new plant will grow.
So I hope I enlightened you with some strange food facts and always remember to not only eat your food, but question it! (Yeh, that sounded so much better in my head) as a bonus, cool facts make for great conversation starters :)
I hope everyone has a fabulous Friday and weekend!
See you later! :D