Thursday 18 September 2014

Fun Food Facts Friday

Hi guys. It's Friday- a day considered lucky in some countries, unlucky in others, associated with the colour blue in Thailand, or in some cultures, a day where it is considered customary to wear cowboy attire as casual attire.

Ok you probably guessed it from that intro (and also from the title..) it's fun facts Friday- the Foodie version! Wanna hear some cool facts about food?

1.  India is the world's largest producer of bananas, producing nearly 22 million tonnes in 2007
I use this picture in so many of my posts!

This one was interesting- when I think of India I don't jump straight to bananas, I mean I know how many bananas my family alone goes through in one week! I guess they export them around the world... but still!

2. So India might produce the most bananas, but China is the largest producer of garlic accounting for nearly 75% of the world's output

Wow, just wow.

3. Carbohydrates are chemical compounds that are made up of oxygen, hydrogen and carbon
 This one just interested me as I didn't know what a carbohydrate was. And now I do. Seriously though- it's kind of cool! (Can you tell I've just done chemistry in science?)

4. The water melon can be classified as both a fruit and vegetable
 Wait, what? I have to Google this one...
Well apparently it's a fregetable.
It's planted and harvested like vegetables and grown using vegetable production systems and also apparently the rules for what is and isn't a vegetable isn't set in stone- like pumpkin and cucumber.

The message to take away from this one is... watermelon is delicious. So eat it. Like this:

5. There are over 30 species of mushroom that glow in the dark

So, wait. I'm confused... why are we freaking out about electricity running out?

6. The top of the pineapple, after cleaning and drying, can be planted in soil and a new plant will grow.
 Ok. I'm off to go eat some pineapple. Then do this.


So I hope I enlightened you with some strange food facts and  always remember to not only eat your food, but question it! (Yeh, that sounded so much better in my head) as a bonus, cool facts make for great conversation starters :)

I hope everyone has a fabulous Friday and weekend!
See you later! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...