Thursday 13 November 2014

Carbs are a girl's best friend!!

Hello friends and welcome to my blog! Full of pretty pictures, crazy writing and a whole lot of... CARBS!
Haha, best intro ever, right?
Seriously though, I love these macromolecules consisting of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen (thanks Wikipedia!) And I think you should to!

There's a reason why carbohydrates make up the majority of the current healthy living pyramid and Eating guide and guidelines etc.
 It's time to get the cold hard facts about carbs- lets get a bit scientific:

First of all, here's a list of the common food sources of carbs, it's not just bread and pasta people!
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Nuts
  • Grains
  • Seeds
  • Legumes
 These can be further broken down into the types of carbs- again it's not just bread or pasta...:
  • Sugar- simple carbs- does occur naturally in whole foods like fruits and milk and also as table sugar and processed foods
  • starch- complex carbs (many sugar units bonded together)- occurs naturally in fruits, veggies, grains, cooked dry beans and peas
  • fiber- also complex carb- also occurs naturally in fruits, veggies, whole grains, cooked dry beans and peas
So now that the science part's done lets move onto the real stuff!
Why Carbs are my best friend:
1. Our body needs them to function. Literally function. The body uses carbs above all else for energy and it is recommended that 45-60% of our energy intake should come from carbs.

2. It provides nutrients for the good bacteria in our intestines that helps us digest our food... you know what I'm saying. Eat your carbs people! :D

3. One of the most important reasons for me is to protect my muscles, becasue if the body doesn't have carbs to use as an energy source, the protein from our muscles starts to look mighty tasty!

4. They do heaps of other cool things as well like regulate the sugars travelling around your blood to make sure your cells get the energy they need and assist your body's absorption of calcium (essential for me- that friend who doesn't drink milk;)


5. Most importantly (sorry number 3) they taste so good :)

As you can see by the pics above I'm a bit of a...

Today's lunch was no different:
 A wholemeal pita pocket stuffed with a Moroccon veggie patty, sauteed capsicum, mushroom, eggplant and tomato with hommus and spinach:
 And just because pumpkin is one of the best things ever... a side of roasted butternut pumpkin:
Yum!

Sorry diamonds... carbs have stolen this girl's heart

I'm just Thinking Out Loud here.... head on over to Spoons if you want to see what everyone else is thinking about! :)


Your turn:
Do you like carbs?
Do you eat carbs?
Would you marry a carb? *cough* Yes *cough*

See you later! :D

4 comments:

  1. Carbivore! I love it! And I most certainly am one. I've tried cutting back on carbs on a handful of occasions, and it never worked in my favour. No energy, moody, and even my digestion got all sorts of screwed up. Carbs are easily my favourite macro, and I have no issues with making them the biggest part of my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    Carbivores unite! I've tried cutting back too and I can definitely feel the difference- negatively!
    Thanks for your comment,
    Step 2 chef x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That panini looks amazing. I'd switch over to full time carbivore if I had those around all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay,
    Haha now you can see why I'm a carbivore ;)
    Steph 2 chef x

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...