Saturday 22 November 2014

Sunday Morning Scones!

Happy Sunday everyone! I love Sundays- long, relaxing, rhymes with funday... yeah! So in my chipper mood this morning I'm going to spoil you all with the breakfast I spoiled myself with because sharing is caring :)

Scones seem to be a thing now in the blog-o-sphere and I'm all for being with the things, so I decided to create my own version- not the triangular ones I've seen so much of, but the typical round British ones. I added strawberries too. :D
These scones were pretty darn good if I do say so myself. They brought me back to a time when my mum and older sister would whip up a batch (the ingredients were a little different to the ones I used) with some whipped cream and strawberry jam and then we would place the warm scones in the middle of the table and dig in. I never really liked them too much (they weren't sweat- what was the point?) but I would always spread on some butter, wait for it to melt then top with a small scoop of strawberry jam and nibble away.

I guess- linking back to this post- my taste buds must have changed somewhere along the years and I seem to remember the taste of scones and really want them! As always, I listen to my body and go with it. I know, my life is tough.

Strawberry Breakfast Scones
Wheat free, dairy free, vegan, soy free, added sugar free, absolutely delicious
Ingredients:
35g wholemeal spelt flour
25g rolled oats
10g oat bran
1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk) with 1 tablespoon chia seeds mixed in along with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 banana mashed with a fork
2 large strawberries (3 smaller ones)
Optional- 1 tablespoon added fiber mix (LSA etc.)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a small baking tray with baking paper, dust with a small amount of flour
2. Mash banana, stir chia seeds into milk with baking powder:

 3. Place the flour, oats, oat bran and optional fibre mix into a bowl and stir to combine
 4. Cut strawberries into small chunks
 5. Add banana and chia mixture to dry mix and stir to combine, then use your hands to mix through strawberry chunks
 6. Roll into balls and flatten slightly
 7. Bake for 10-15 mins, until hard on top and golden
 8. Transfer to baking tray for a few mins

 9. Cut in half and spread with anything you like- I went for generous blobs of almond butter :)
10. EAT! While warm- they taste better :)
 I served mine alongside some banana yoghurt (the other half of the banana whazzed up with 3 big scoops of greek yoghurt)

 These were seriously good. Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside.
 They are more dense than regular scones, but that's just because of the different flours and quite frankly I prefer it!
 They sort of look like melting moments, so I guess you could call them melting moment strawberry scones!
 The real reason for the banana yoghurt? To act as the typical cream with scones
 Step 1.
 Step 2.
 Step 3.
 Step 4. NOM!
 T'was a good breakfast. T'was.

How about you?
Do you like scones?
Do you have a favourite type? I'm thinking of making pumpkin scones next
Do you like cream? Never have never will. Too many times has it tricked me into thinking it's ice cream and then left me disappointed!

Bye for now! Enjoy your Sunday! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...