Monday 3 November 2014

Rhubarb- so underrated

Hey what's up ladies! (name that movie)
Random survey time! Raise your hand if you like rhubarb. Ok, raise your hand if you've never tried rhubarb. Raise your hand if you hate rhubarb. Right, so if you raised your hand for the last one... GET OUT! that's fine, we all like different things :)
 Now I'm sure there were a few of you who had never tried rhubarb and I totally understand. I'd never had it until a few months prior when I just wanted to experiment. Now there's no turning back- I love it! I just think people forget that it exists.
It's a strange thing rhubarb. First of all it's technically a perennial plant that appears to have stalks like celery. Even though it is a vegetable it is prepared and served as though it's a fruit! I bet you didn't know that you could eat it raw. I've never tried this because personally I preferred it stewed and made into delicious creations... such as:
A rhubarb/ apple crumble:

Rhubarb and Muesli Cookies:
Baked rhubarb oatmeal:
And most recently chopped up and stirred into my typical bowl of whipped banana oats:
Topped off with some crunchy peanut butter :)
Why do I love it so much?
It's not sweet, it feels like you're eating a tart dessert (especially if you balance the tartness with something sweet like banana) and I'm not a fan of overly sweet things so I love rhubarb in my desserts breakfasts ;)
There are so many other great rhubarb recipes out there besides my small selection listed above (trust me, I've book marked a fair few!)
Like this Rhubarb Pie Smoothie for instance:
 Or even this crazy looking Strawberry Rhubarb Soup!
Why Rhubarb?
Benefits:
  • Not only is it low calorie, but it contains heaps of vitamins and minerals!
  • Stalks are rich in several B vitamins
  • Vitamin A- a powerful antioxidant that's good for eye health
  • Good amounts of vitamin K
So make sure you hop on the rhubarb bandwagon, because it seriously is a delicious, nutritious, illustrious (ran out of 'ous' words:) food that everyone should try!

Food for thought:
Do you like rhubarb?
Do you love rhubarb?
Do you think rhubarb is a fun word to say? Just me?

Bye for now guys! :D



P.S. The movie was grown-ups, well done to those who got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...