Monday 9 March 2015

My new obsession with beans

I have this new obsession.
It's been growing for a while now.
Ever since this:
A bowl of roasted potatoes (white potato and Japanese white sweet potato) with roasted brocoli and brussels sprouts, spinach and....
Spicy cumin, paprika and cinnamon roasted chickpeas.

See, I'd seen people make beans like this before- rub them with spices and then oven bake them until they puffed and turned golden but for some unknown reason (along with never trying avocado or almond butter until 2 years ago) I had never tried this myself.

Boy was I missing out!!

What's a girl to do if she feels a fair bit of FOMO (fear of missing out for all those not in the know ;) She makes up for the time without the amazing-ness of oven roasted spiced beans! :)
These bad boys were similar to the ones above with cumin, cinnamon and parika- an equal sprinkle of each, rubbed onto some drained four beans and lentils and baked in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 15 mins)
Which were then scattered throughout this delicious cous cous and roasted veg bowl. (roasted pumpkin, beetroot, sweet potato, parsnip and swede with cooked cous cous and spinach). To say a smile slowly crept its way onto my face would be an understatement- I practically sighed with the love of these beans.

All hail the beans that have apparently disappeared under the mound of cous cous in this shot:
 Then there was lunch...
 A typical Steph lunch snack-plate!
 Mashed avocado,
 Oven roasted potatoes, (white sweet potato and regular white potato- obsession with potatoes too!)
 Chips! Organic blue maize tortilla chips and brown rice and linseed chips,
And...
Oven roasted chickpeas and lentils! These were my favourite yet, as I sort of went the sweet route, rubbing the drained chickpeas and lentils with ground cinnamon and ground ginger and baking again for 15 mins. Oh my gollygoodness! These were soo good! Sort of like eating a hot cross bun/ gingerbread/ something along those lines and the sort of floury texture of the chickpeas and lentils only added to that sensation!

Then there was many lunches and dinners that followed with beans like this and unfortunately I didn't take pics of them all because I thought you would grow tired of seeing them... no matter how much I was un-tired of eating them!!
 Ooh- popped into my lunch time salad once again!
:)
Now I'm not saying regular old drained/ cooked beans aren't entirely awesome either and that they don't also make awesome veggie patties or chilies etc. And sometimes I just crave a simple meal like the one below:


Roasted pumpkin, parsnip, potato and white sweet potato (yeh, you know I'm obsessed) with spinach and simple-pimple drained chickpeas and lentils:
Because sometimes oven baked spicy beans aren't what I'm feeling.
Except for most of the time- because most of the time I am!! ;)

What about you?
Current food obsession?
Ever tried oven roasted beans?
What spice/s would you put on yours? I simply can't go back from the ginger and cinnamon vibe now!

That's it for today folks! I hope you have a fabulous day and eat something yummy! Bye for now!! :D






2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's a change in seasons because we've been on a bean loving kick lately too! Black beans, chickpeas, cannelini beans, butter beans - I can't stop eating them and luckily Jesse is sharing my obsession!

    We tend to stick with garlic and herbs or mexican seasonings on our beans, however, I roasted up a batch of chickpeas earlier in the week with cinnamon and coconut sugar and they were so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a change in seasons! I definitely need to try Mexican beans- that would rock! And those cinnamon and coconut sugar beans sound great! :)
    Steph 2 chef x

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...