Thursday 11 September 2014

Oh The Irony

It's Thursday and I'm ready to Think Out Loud, however this one's not so much a random brain dump, as more of a structured, thought out and  re-written over and over again post I've been working on for a while. Still with me? Sure you are! Thanks to Spoons for hosting this link-up.
The first time I came across this image I felt a song post coming on!
If I thought I was passionate about girls my age dieting... well this is a whole other level of passion.
Take a look:
I've never really thought about it.. but it's so true! The irony of it made me laugh. Out loud. For a few good minutes. Until that ugly truth dawned on me with full force. Then I got angry.
We all know some of the big problems of a poor diet include:
  • Chronic fatigue
  • weight gain, leading to high blood pressure
  • heart disease
  • arthritis
Just to name a few. So wouldn't one think that the cure for these problems as a result of a poor diet would be a better diet?
However, taking a look at the solutions...
  • High blood pressure= blood pressure tablets
  • Heart disease= anti platelet drugs
  • Arthritis= glucosamine supplements
  • Anticoagulants, Digitails ACE, Beta blockers, Nitrates, Thrombolytic agents were just a few other drugs rounding off the list
So instead of tucking into this:
We're choosing this?
 Something's not quite adding up here and I'm pretty sure I know what it is. It's human nature. Well.. the modern day human nature. You see we're accustomed to easy quick fixes and have grown up in a scientific and medicinal era.

Now I'm not dissing science or medicine. There's a reason we are living far longer than our ancestors and a lot healthier. All I'm saying is we simply cannot rely on a magic pill to save us from our bad choices. I've always grown up hearing this phrase and only now do I realise just how important it is:
If we were all well-educated and the food industry worked harder at caring for our health- we wouldn't need all those drugs mentioned above and constant doctors appointments and even dangerous surgeries. We could instead focus our brightest scientific minds on diseases we have no control over like AIDS, Malaria, Ebola, cancer and even the common cold.

Instead:
To paint it plain and simple:
Instead of this:
Why not this:
Because I truly believe:

It amazes me that our ancient ancestors knew before their world was run by science and medicine, that the diet is the fundamental element of health and medicine for problems associated to diet is unnecessary.They were wise people and I think we should all take a leaf out of their book:

Yeh, it's a big dream and one not many people have probably even considered before. It takes two to tango, so I guess the first move of figuring out how to solve this puzzle is bringing together both the health and food industry, then we can see where to go from there.

In the meantime, I urge you all to take a look at your diet first before rushing off to the doctor, because a quick reflection on what's entering your stomach and fueling you're body could be the answer to the problem. (If you've broken your arm, by all means rush off to the doctor- although some chocolate may help as well!)

Stay happy stay healthy and I'll see you all later! :D




3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! There is a differencr between medicine and HEALTH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh don't even get me stared about the whole field of medicine because I will never stop ranting. It's all about money -- not about health. They don't want to keep people from getting sick... they just want to manage the symptoms -- with drugs. I have a few good friends that work in the health field, and they have some of the unhealthiest habits out of anyone I know! And the "food" they give sick people in hospitals? Are you KIDDING? Ugh. I can't even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda and Amanda,
    Thanks so much for agreeing! And I completely forgot to talk about the food they offer in hospitals for sick patients trying to recover- like pudding cups.. come one!
    Thanks again for your comments!
    Steph 2 Chef x

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...