Saturday 29 November 2014

Eggplant Parmigiana!

Hello sunny citizens! (or should I just stick with happy people... I don't know, sunny citizens sounds cooler :)
Question:
Who likes parmigiana?
Unsure of what it is (really?) here is the definition:

Parmigiana is an Italian dish made with a shallow or deep-fried sliced filling, layered with cheese and tomato sauce, then baked.

I've always liked parmigiana, but only ever had my mum's veal parmigiana. I sort of didn't know it could be made with anything else until my big sister cooked chicken parmigiana one night for the family.

I became intrigued and did some research on the infamous Italian dish (now considered 'pub grub'). Apparently you can used pretty much everything as long as it's topped off with some sauce and cheese! Another thing that caught my eye was all the eggplant parmigiana recipes, so I decided to give it a crack.

Get ready for a super quick, easy, vegan, healthy and DELICIOUS eggplant parmigiana! 
 Oh, yes :)
To make this super simple, yet sensational dish, you will need:

Ingredients:
1 eggplant (as big as you like/ small, depending on amount of people your serving- to serve two I would use 1 big eggplant)
Tomato paste (again buy a tub/ squeezy bottle so you have enough for the amount your making- I used 1 sachet of tomato paste for 1 person)
Dried oregano & basil (to your taste)
Vegan cheese (1 quantity serves 1, so double/triple/quadruple quantities if necessary)
Cracked black pepper for top

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a tray with baking paper.
2.Slice eggplant into 1cm thick rounds, place on tray and bake for 15 mins
3. Meanwhile make the vegan cheese (stirring the hommus, nutritional yeast and water together in a small bowl) and in another bowl stir the tomato paste and herbs together
4. Once the eggplant has been baking for 15 mins, remove from oven, spread on with a spoon the tomato paste, followed by the 'cheese' and then some cracked black pepper:

5. Return to oven for a further 15 mins, or until cheese is golden and bubbling. Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly before digging in!

I absolutely love making these for when I'm on the go and need dinner to come with me as I like them even better cold and they're pretty easy to pick up and eat. I seriously love the eggplant skin around the edges, as it goes all crispy and delicious after baking and the eggplant itself- hello creamy love!

So there you go- super simple, super healthy (healthiest parmigiana I've ever seen) and super super yummy! Definitely give this one a go guys!

And you?
Do you like parmigiana?
What's your favourite type?
Do you like eggplant? See, I never really used to like eggplant, but I think that was because I'd only had it steamed into a flavourless goop and didn't realise it could taste so good fried up/ mashed into baba ganoush/ grilled into a veggie sandwich/ made into this tasty dish!

I hope you have a nice and relaxing Sunday!

Catch ya later! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...