Tuesday 21 January 2014

Colourful Pizza Parcels


Umm, it may have come to your attention that I have a slight obsession with pizza, I have only been blogging for a month and already you can find my different takes on pizza here and here and here!

I'm also one of those people who hates eating the same thing day after day- so each of those pizza recipes mentioned above are quite different, which brings me to today's pizza recipe...

These are my Colourful Pizza Parcels:
Hehe.
Ingredients:
100g pumpkin, chopped
100g beetroot, chopped
1 teaspoon of yeast + 1/4 cup lukewarm water
100g flour of choice (I used a wheat free bread mix) plus 1/4-1/2 cup more
1 tablespoon oil
choice of herbs (I used oregano and basil)
Vegan cheese:
1 tablespoon hommus
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
water to thin
Filling:(This is totally up to you but I'm going to write down what was in mine, feel free to have whatever filling you like)
100g mixed root veggie chopped quite small
Tomato, capsicum, mushrooms, pineapple, spinach
basil pesto

Method:
1. Steam your pumpkin and beetroot on medium heat for around 20 mins.
This is my beloved steamer in case you were wondering:
It's so old and it's probably my most used kitchen appliance. It was about 50 cents at my schools trash and treasure!
2. Meanwhile, mix yeast with lukewarm water and sit for 5-10 mins until frothy
3. Place flour and herbs in a bowl, stir
4. Once pumpkin and beetroot are done, mash pumpkin- leave to cool- place beetroot in a small food processor and process until its chopped up into tiny cubes
5. Add some of the yeast mixture and oil to the flour, stir with a wooden spoon until starting to come together- but still crumbly- split between two bowls
6. Add the mashed pumpkin to one, using your hands to combine everything, add extra flour until dough comes to pizza dough consistency (smooth and elastic)
7. Take handfuls of the beetroot cubes and squish in your hands so the juice drips into other bowl. Mix in extra yeast mixture if required.
8. Knead both doughs for 5-10 mins on a lightly floured surface. This is what mine looked like:

9. Wash, then grease with oil the two bowls. Place each dough in one and cover both with a tea towel, leave in a warm dark place for 30-40 mins. (I put mine in the oven- turned off!)
10. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.(we have two ovens, if you do not have two ovens, please don't place your dough there to rest!) In the meantime you can get your fillings ready. I steamed my mixed root veggies:
And chopped up all my other filling ingredients. I also made my vegan cheese at this point.
11. Once the dough has rested for 30-40 mins, lightly flour your bench again, punch the doughs down in their bowls, then knead them for about 2 mins.
12. Roll out one of the doughs, spread with pizza sauce (or basil pesto if you are strange like me and prefer pesto to sauce!) pile filling in the middle and drizzle cheese over generously. Bring the edges up to meet at the top, squeeze together and secure in place with a tooth pick. Place on a baking tray. Do the same with the second dough.
13. Place the pizza parcels in the oven and bake for around 15-20 mins (or more) until the pumpkin pizza base has browned and both feel hard and crispy on the outside:
14. Remove the toothpicks and walk around the house with your plate of colourful pizza parcels amazing everyone with your weird geniusness! I did!
How about some inside views?
Cheesy, doughy, veggie filled parcels of yumminess- hmm maybe I should change their name to that?
Next time I think I'll make mini versions and stuff them each with one different but crucial pizza topping :)

I hope you have a great day- you know making these will make it even greater!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...