Monday 6 January 2014

Grains Part 1

Howdy folks!
Seeing as this is a food blog... about food, i figured i should mention some recipes. But, like everything else in life you have to start with the basics.
GRAINS! 
About 2 years ago, I think I truly believed the only grain in the world was wheat and rice. Well that changed and ever since I have collected my fair share of them:

Grains (mainly whole grains) are definitely part of a healthy diet, which is why I thought I might share my ways of cooking some of my favorites. :)
First up- Pearled Barley
Most commonly used in soups or stews (I like it plain on its own...) because you can't really over cook it.
A serving size is 100g (so the packet tells me) which is the same as 1/2 a cup. Place your required amount in a saucepan and the ratio of barley to water is 1 part barley 5 parts water. *I just put the barley in a saucepan and pretty much fill with water.* Then bring water to the boil and let simmer for around 45 minutes. YUM!

Now another favorite of mine- Cous Cous
Cooking cous cous is ridiculously easy, but heaps of people are a bit weary, well have no fear.. Steph is here! 
Step 1. Measure out cous cous into a bowl(1 serving is about1/4 cup)
Step 2. Add the same amount of boiling water to the bowl
Step 3. stir a little and then cover (I just use a plate)
Step 4. Wait 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork and eat!
Yes, the ratio of cous cous to water is 1:1
So this is part one of how to cook different grains. Stay tuned for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...