Tuesday 16 December 2014

Cauliflower pizza!!!

Hidy-ho friendly folks! I hope we're all in a good mood today because I have a present for you!

Can you guess what it is?

It's round, filled with delicious herbs, baked in an oven and topped with all the best things...

Yes! It's pizza! With a twist...
It's cauliflower crust pizza!!!

Ok- it's honesty o'clock. As a kid I used to detest cauliflower. Wouldn't look at it, wouldn't smell it, wouldn't touch it and most certainly wouldn't eat it.

Now, I still don't like it very much. It just doesn't taste like anything to me, I don'[t see what it's life purpose is. It's like honey dew melon- no one really remembers it at all but you'll be sure to find it in every fruit salad!

I thought about this for a second and was like- 'If cauliflower doesn't taste like anything, then shouldn't I be able to make it taste like anything I want??' This thought also reminded me of a post I had seen on Peanut Butter Fingers.

Hmmm. A pizza base made of cauliflower. Why not? :)

Yes- why not indeed, where have you been all my life!

Ok, ok- here's the recipe present!

Ingredients:
Half a head of cauliflower
1 egg
1-2 tablespoons of hommus
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (the hommus and nutritional yeast sub for the cheese- feel free to add a handful of actual cheese)
A sprinkle of dried oregano and dried basil
Whatever you want to top your pizza off with

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a pizza tray/ baking tray with baking paper and spray with oil (so the base doesn't stick)
2. Place the cauliflower in a food processor and process until all broken up and resembling rice:

 3. Heat in the microwave for two minutes until hot and steamed.
4. Whisk up the egg and then add to the cauliflower along with the hommus, nutritional yeast and herbs.
 5. Mix to combine
 6. Flatten the cauliflower base onto your tray, pressing down:
 7. Bake in the oven for 20 mins until hardened and golden:
 8. Top with your favourite pizza toppings (mine included some no-added-salt tomato paste, pesto, mushrooms, capsicum and olives)
 9. Bake for another 10-15 mins until toppings have cooked to your liking
 10. Slide onto a plate, slice into pizza slices and enjoy!
 Check out that base!
 I love pizza and as some of you may know, wheat and I are not always the best of friends (which is why most of my pizza bases are spelt) but when I'm simply not in the mood for dense floury pizza- cauliflower to the rescue!
 Sliced view:
 I think I could fool a few people into believing this is a real pizza base by this photo:
 Pizza love :)


Talk to me:
Do you like cauliflower? I'm sure there are some of you that exist ;)
Do you like pizza? Of course you do- what's your favourite kind?
Have you ever had a cauliflower crust pizza before?

Bye for now friends! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...