Saturday 6 December 2014

My perfect bowl of oats

Hello wonderful people!
Let's take a flashback about a year and a half.
I was just getting into the whole new diet thingo (when wheat/dairy/sugar were off the table) and I was just getting immersed obsessed with the healthy living blogger community. I was also just getting into oats.
Yes, I know woopdy-woopers- however little did I know this would be the start of an unbreakable love obsession!
I'd had oats as a kid but it was always those single serving highly processed, flavoured quick oats that you microwave...
So my very first bowls of oats were plain quick oats with soy milk, microwaved and then topped with a sliced banana.
They were plain/ boring/ not too filling. I can't believe I never thought to add my banana to the oats prior to cooking!
Then I caught on. Sort of.
I started chopping up the banana, placing it in a bowl and microwaving it after I microwaved the oats and then stirring it in. Boy, was that a step up!
I'm pretty sure these words were actually written for me and my oats.
Where was the nut butter!?! Ok, ok- stop yelling people! I also didn't think of that just yet, instead I had a small bowl of raw mixed nuts alongside my oats with a separately melted banana. :)

I know you're not worried though- especially if you've been reading my blog for a while, because you know how this crazy love story ends. We both sacrifice ourselves for true love.I finally figure out how to make awesome oats. (Ok, I'll stop crossing out my sentences now ;)

Take a look at my recipe page and you'll find numerous recipes for choc oats, pumpkin oats, berry oats, banana oats, baked oatmeal- the list goes on and on!

I've come to an important decision, however. I think I have found my favourite bowl of oatmeal. Dun, dun DUN!
How did I come to this conclusion? Purely on the fact that I ate it for breakfast 3 or 4 times this past week. That's big for me as I hate having the same thing over and over.

So, without further ado... my favourite bowl of oats:
Vanilla protein powder rolled oats!

To make:
Place about 1/3-1/2 cup rolled oats in a saucepan along with a scoop of vanilla protein powder, A LOT of cinnamon, 1 small thinly chopped banana (or half a huge one like I did this morning) and about 1 cup milk (I use almond milk) left to sit and bubble for about 5 mins on medium heat, stirring occasionally to 'melt' the banana into the oats. Then leave to thicken in saucepan for 5 mins, then transfer to bowl/ cup, (lined with a bit of nut butter ;) top with nut butter and leave to sit for another 10 mins to cool.

Perfection.

It is such a great brekky after a long run (like this morning) however I usually want something cool and creamy as well. Enter mango fro-yo:
1/2 a mango chopped and frozen whazzed up with 3 big scoops of greek yoghurt and placed in the freezer for 15 mins to harden a bit.

As you can see, I've come a long way in the oat department and am so happy about that. Whenever the topic of breakfast comes up at school and I say I love to eat oatmeal, most people wrinkle their noses in disgust. That's just because their used to bland, lumpy, grey moosh. They haven't experienced the amazing oatmeal recipes out there that I feel so blessed to have tried/ am going to try. 

 
 Post

 There's nothing like a warming spoon of deliciousness to bring a smile to your face:

Thank you oats.

How about you?
Do you like oats?
What's your favourite type to make?
Did you start off with very plain oatmeal?

That's it from me, bye for now friends! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...