Saturday, 8 March 2014
It's not a breakfast!
I come bearing gifts of a recipe... that's not a breakfast! Yay! :)
Any-way, for lunch I decided I wanted a bun with salad inside- easy enough, cut open a bun, fill with salad... but I'm sure you've all learned by now that I don't do things the easy way- I do them the FUN way!
I thought, 'well I really like pizza and I've always wanted to make my own veggie bread, but I really feel like a bun..' this thinking led to the awesome creation of the Veggie Pizza Bun!
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
60g wholemeal spelt flour
60g bread mix ( I used my wheat free brand- plain flour should also work)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 carrot- shredded
2 tablespoons diced capsicum
2 long green beans, chopped
Herbs and spices! ( I used oregano, basil, ground cumin and ground coriander)
Any filling you want
1. Mix together the yeast and water and sit for 5 mins until frothy
2. Meanwhile, combine the flours, baking powder and lots of herbs and spices in a medium bowl, prepare veggies as well:
4. Knead for 5 mins on a floured surface then knead in your veggies by pulling and stretching and folding the dough.
6. Preheat oven ( other oven- if you don't have two, leave your dough in the pantry or another warm dark place) to 180 degrees celsius
7. Once your dough has rested enough, punch down then knead slightly. Shape into a bun shape ( I just flattened the top of mine a bit) and place in the oven for 15- 20 mins until golden brown.
8. Meanwhile prepare filling- I had a typical salad sandwich ( egg, spinach, tomato) but I would recommend roasted veggies or typical pizza toppings would be awesome too!
9. Cool slightly, then split in half:
Healthy, wheat free, sugar free, dairy free, nut free, soy free- I can't think of any other frees at the moment, but I'm sure there's more.
Oh and delicious!!!